Sunflower Mom on a Mission

Kim is the official "Spokesmom" for Just For Me(tm) Texture Softener(tm), the brand new breakthrough in hair care for girls of mixed heritage! Her daughter, is featured on the hair care system package, and you may have even seen her on Barney! Kim's blog will contain her thoughts on being a mom in a multi-ethnic family, health and beauty and self-image and self esteem. And for fun, she will interact with other moms who have "hair care chronicles and horror stories."

Thursday, July 27, 2006

"My Story"

Hello!
My name is Kim aka "Sunflower Mom". I would personally like to welcome you to my site! I created this blog because I feel there is a need for us who are involved in multi ethnic relationships with children to address some important issues. One of these being hair care for dual heritage children. Myself being in a relationship as this...I have experienced this problem first hand. I have 2 wonderful children. My son is part African American and Hispanic (he is actually my stepson) and my daughter is part African American and Caucasion. They are 2 beautiful kids...but with very different hair textures which at times can cause major problems in our home. Have you ever noticed that there is nothing in the stores for "multi-ethnic" hair??? Especially for children!! Their hair is in a class of its own!! I have spent the past 9 years trying to find the perfect product that would work on both of their hair types and had failed...UNTIL NOW!!!! There is a new product that will be arriving in stores soon and it is absolutely wonderful. It is the Just For Me Texture Softener!! It is a "hair maintenance system" for kids of dual heritage. This product is UNBELIEVABLE!! Finally a product that addresses "OUR NEEDS"!!
I am very excited about this new texture softener and I will share more with you in future blogs. I will also be sharing my own personal experiences of being involved in a multi ethnic relationship with children and the trials and tribulations we go through everyday!! I look forward to your comments as well as you sharing your stories with me!!!
Until next time...
"Sunflower Mom"

10 Comments:

At 9:22 AM, Blogger Kim said...

This is great, Kim! Let me know if you need anything from the team! We'll be blogging too!

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger Kim said...

Hey, Sunflower Mom! Want to tell us why you're called the Sunflower mom?

 
At 8:45 PM, Blogger Kim said...

I hope I answered your question!! :) Have a great one!!

 
At 8:47 PM, Blogger Kim said...

BlendedTribe,

Great to have you aboard!! Please feel free to share your stories with us!!

Cheers to you!! :)

 
At 2:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gurl my daughter is ourely african American and just like most her hair was over the top (beautiful while wet but as soon as you let it go kink up tight as can be. I went the other day to the "black" hair store to see if there was anything I could do to my daughter's hair to Soften the texture "no all i know of is to super condition is and you WILL HAVE TO PUT Some kind of heat to it to make it lay down" see this is why our kids have burnt out hair now. Anyway I was reading the Nick jr Magazine THE NEXT day and saw the "just for me texture softener" i ran out on my lunch break and bought it and put it in her hair that night. I am soooo in love with this product. I came back the next morning and put it up on Yahoo Answers that it is a fabulous product.

 
At 10:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HEllo everyone,
I can't wait to use this for my daughter she is 4 and her hair is out of control, she's african american and her hair is very curly it's just breaks off every morning when i comb it and my heart just breaks because i figured that she is pain...So until next year I'm going to start putting it in my own hair to see the results......Take care

 
At 5:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ladies,

Thank you so much for posting your comments. I have a 4 year old african american daughter with a head full of hair. I have curly hair and my husband has coarse hair...that combo equals a beautiful daughter with kinky hair. I've tried everything...4 sections with braids, 6 sections with braids, leave in moisturizers, hair conditioners...you name it. The poor little thing cries when I do her hair and it just breaks my heart. I bought this product about 6 weeks ago and still nervous about trying it. Does anybody have any before and after pictures that you can send me? I would greatly welcome any pictures, suggestions or comments. My email address is rclark918@hotmail.com .

 
At 12:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi sunflower mom

my mother wont put it in my hair for the fact that i have previously relaxed hair, i really love my natural texture but it breaks easily and is very coarse

 
At 9:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

DEAR Sunflower mom, i am african american and would like to try this product. i have normal hair and was wondering how the texture of my hair will come out.. plz respond! thanx

 
At 3:32 AM, Blogger kamra46 said...

my daughter is now 17 and has very tight coarse hair, which used to look like your daughter's hair until she started secondary school and wanted to straighten it , she went to a couple of hairdressers then started straightening it herself, against my wishes, but it was usually done behind my back, as she was finding her hair harder to control, when combed or brushed, it resembled a pyramid, hairdressers used to charge extra as they said she has more hair than they fist thought before undoing her plaits, now her hair is collar length and constantly breaking and we are having regular steam treatments and she has finally stopped straightening it now she sees her hair is breaking, inbetween we have deep conditioning sessions at home to try to keep it loose, I bought just for me softener and we applied it only on her new growth to loosen it and it has loosened it so that she can actually comb it and it is not going into dreadlocks/knots. I really wish we had come across this years ago as it would have saved a lot of damage and a lot of heartache on both sides!!!
I wish something could be done that stops shops selling straightening kits for afro hair to youngsters with mixed hair below the age of 18, even hairdressers we went to, british ones said they could only wash it and straighten with electric hairstraighteners or rollrs, which made her hair stand off her head and look huge, african hairdressers suggested straightening with solutions, which you end up thinking must be right, as they are used to dealing with african hair, Those early days were the worst and I am now praying that now we have a sensible way to loosen my daughters hair whilst the straightener is growing out and her hair is being treated to stop it breaking thet she will soon have the beautiful hair she was born with again. This frank posting is so that others with young children will not make the mistakes we have made and are armed with more knowledge/help than we were.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home