Sunflower Mom on a Mission

Kim is the official "Spokesmom" for Just For Me(tm) Texture Softener(tm), the brand new breakthrough in hair care for girls of mixed heritage! Her daughter, is featured on the hair care system package, and you may have even seen her on Barney! Kim's blog will contain her thoughts on being a mom in a multi-ethnic family, health and beauty and self-image and self esteem. And for fun, she will interact with other moms who have "hair care chronicles and horror stories."

Thursday, January 31, 2008

"Alligator Skin"

Hello!!

I hope everyone has had a wonderful week. It has been a very fast week for us!! The weather has also been crazy!! 50 mile an hour wind gusts, freezing cold weather and now I just saw on the news that it is going to be 76 on Monday!! You just gotta love Texas!! :)

The winter weather brings me into my topic today and also what we have been discussing at our house this week...alligator skin!! With all of this dry, cold weather, it seems to be causing problems with my daughter's skin. Her legs are sooo dry and it doesn't matter how much lotion or oil she puts on them, they still look VERY scaley. They are not ashy, but just look very scaley. Almost like she really does have scales. I honestly have never seen anything like it before. Our whole family gets really dry skin in the winter, but, with a little bit of lotion, or baby oil, it softens it up. I don't know what is going on with her legs. It is very strange and now it is making her very self conscious of them. Especially at cheer practice when she wears shorts.

If anyone can give me some tips...I would, or should I say, Brenna would appreciate it!! :) It was funny, the other day I walked into the bathroom and she was putting the Just For Me conditioner on her legs!! She is trying everything in the house. The wierd thing is is that it is only on her legs. It isn't like that anywhere else on her body.


Moving on to another subject...I am thiking about trying the Just For Me Texture Softener on my son's hair. He wants me to put it on his hair and see if it will help with the the dry, wirey texture of his hair. Of course, I love his hair. Except right now, he has it shaved. He has beautiful curls...and my husband shaved them all off at his request. He wants to grow it longer, but he doesn't like how curly it gets when he grows it out. He thinks it makes him look like a little kid. He is going to let it grow though so I can apply it to his hair. I will let you know how it turns out in a few weeks!!

Well, it is getting late!! Gotta get some sleep!! :)


Until Next Time,
"Sunflower Mom"

5 Comments:

At 8:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have/had dry scales on my shins and calves. The scales were nasty looking and was darker than the rest of my skin. It really is unattractive. The only thing that work was Amlactin or another lotion that has a high concentration of Alpha Hydroxy Acid in it to slowly exfoliate the scales off. I used it daily for 4-5 months. It is pricey, but worth it. For an everyday lotion, I use Cetaphil moisterizing lotion, it is high in humectants, which attracts moisture to the skin. No more scales and I have smooth soft legs. Hope I helped.

 
At 3:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The alligator skin is caused not only by the dry skin, but because of the dead skin cells that are not being scrubed off. Have her take a bath. A real long soak and if she scratches her leg, you should see the dead skin coming off. Also, lotion, doesn't work for out skin. We need to use Palmers Cocoa Butter. I never had dry skin because I've been using cocoa butter since i was born. So once she comes out the shower, get rid of that lotion and try Palmers Cocoa Butter.

 
At 1:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kim!
As a dry skin sufferer I can relate to her frustration with her skin. My dermatologist suggested Aquaphor . It's made by the makers of Eucerin. It's petroleum based so it's kind of greasy. I use it mostly for my legs, esp. my knees and elbows. My daughter's skin is not as bad as my own so I just concentrate on knees and elbows for her.

Also she can buy baby oil gel. As I'm applying lotion, I add a dime sized amount of the gel in my hand and mix with my regular lotion. I find it helps to seal in the moisture and for much longer.

 
At 7:47 AM, Blogger Just Sarah said...

I know I'm late but I lost this site from my favorites during a computer problem. Anyways, I use Eucerin or Cetaphil on both of my kids because they have very sensitive skin and eczema. These are more expensive but they last a while.

 
At 3:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi 'Mom'! Google 'Ichthyosis'. I had this as a child. It was extremely debilitating for me.

This condition is in no way contagious BUT because of how it looks, children and sometimes adults, often made derogatory comments. It made me painfully shy and I went until I was 22-25 ALWAYS wearing stockings to cover my legs.

The doctors will say there's no cure and one doctor even instructed my mother that I shouldn't be bathed - just use cream and wipe it off to clean me!!???

GOOD NEWS - it went away gradually and then completely as I entered my 20's. At that time I became a 'health nut' and read everything I could in health food stores about vitamins/amino acids that would combat dry skin (although this condition is a more severe form).

I took the vitamins (E, D, A, etc.) and in addition I discovered the importance of drinking water to keep my skin hydrated. I noticed a big difference in about 3-4 weeks after I started drinking 8-10 glasses of water a day.

For the first time in my life I was able to wear bathing suits and go bare legged in the summer. Sun really helps too along with using a loofah in the shower/bath to slough away a lot of the flaking skin. Also I'd started to shave my legs at the time and that helped to exfolliate.

I wish someone had steered my mother in this direction instead of waiting until I was old enough to investigate natural 'cures' myself.

All of these tips are very easy to incorporate into your lifestyle. My heart goes out to your daughter. It is very mortifying to go thru this as a child.

Good luck! Investigate and DO NOT BELIEVE it cannot be turned around...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home