Sunflower Mom on a Mission

Kim is the official "Spokesmom" for Just For Me(tm) Texture Softener(tm), the brand new breakthrough in hair care for girls of mixed heritage! Her daughter, is featured on the hair care system package, and you may have even seen her on Barney! Kim's blog will contain her thoughts on being a mom in a multi-ethnic family, health and beauty and self-image and self esteem. And for fun, she will interact with other moms who have "hair care chronicles and horror stories."

Friday, January 05, 2007

"Thank You"

Good Morning!!

I hope everyone's New Year has gotten off to a wonderful start!! It is hard to imagine it is 2007. We started back to school yesterday and it was hard to write '07 on everything. Time is flying by.

I wanted to start this new year by thanking all of you who have read this blog and responded so positively to it!! I want this to be a place where we can share both positive and negative occurances while being involved in a multi-ethnic relationship and raising our children in this day and age.

Dealing with the race issue is very difficult at times. I want this to be a support system for all of us. A place where we can share stories of our lives whether they are dealing with raising our children, dealing with hair issues, or just simply supporting one another with everyday life occurances while being involved in a multi-ethnic relationship.

As far as hair goes, I AM on a mission to let people know about the JFM Texture Softener. I am not trying to change hair, nor do I want kids to feel bad about their hair. The fact is, I have a daughter who is bi-racial and I live with her hair issues everyday. I also have to listen to her everyday!! Some days she is happy with her hair and other days she is not. I remember when I was little, I wouldn't be happy with my hair. I wanted it to be curly because my hair is straight as a board! It doesn't seem to matter if you are caucasion, hispanic, or asian...it is pretty much typical that people always want hair that they don't have!! :)

I want those of us who have bi-racial or multi-ethnic children to have a resource to share stories, gain knowledge, or just simply get ideas about how you handle certain issues. With the JFM Texture Softener now available for us, I feel this is a great stepping stone!!


I love reading your comments and being able to share pictures with you. I hope you share lots more with me!!

To all... I hope you have a very happy and healthy new year!!!

Until Next Time,
"Sunflower Mom"

8 Comments:

At 8:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what is the youngest age that you recommend this product for?

 
At 5:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,
I saw an ad for this product in Essence magazine. That sent me to the web to find additional information....and I landed here. I have a suggestion. Is it absolutely necessary to market this product and/or this website as a product for multi-ethnic or biracial children? I almost tuned out because these classifications do not apply to my daughter. She is African American as are my husband and I. However, when I saw the picture of your daughter, I noticed that the texture of her hair is very similar to my daughter's, so decided to read on. If you are marketing this product specifically for biracial families, I guess that is fine, but I think you may lose some people along the way.

With that said, I want to thank you for the info and pics on this site. My daughter is 6 has been asking to get a relaxer because a lot of the African American girls at her school have them. I refuse because I know first hand the damage a relaxer can do. Also, I think her brown curls are beautiful! The main problem is that it gets so tangled and combing it out (except when it's wet) is a nightmare for both of us. So, I hope this product will help. Thanks again!

 
At 11:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My daughter just turned 4 years old and has naturally tightly curled hair. She desparately wants her hair long, and it is long, if you pull the corkscrew curls-but of course, when you let go, they pop back into the tight curl. Do you think she is too young for this product? We have been trimming her hair every 2 months b/c it's impossible to manage. It seems when it grows, it only grows out, not down. Any thoughts on letting the curls grow? -a hopeful mom

 
At 11:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Kim,
I am a 29 year old Nigerian American. I have been growing my hair natural for the last 6 years. I had relaxers all my life until I decided to let my real hair grow. My hair has the tightest coarse curls you can imagine. I've worn my hair in afro puffs and twists, but could only get it to grow to just past my shoulders, because of the kinks the curls created. I decided to use this product over the holidays so I could stop damaging my hair with blow drying. It worked great! I have an afro puff with out blow drying my hair and less kinks when I style my hair. It's kinda like a mini perm that allows my hair to be more manageable without losing the natural beauty and essence of black hair. If you have any PR power I definately say market this product to all the sistas who choose to live life naturally.
Thanks,
Nike Lukan
Houston, TX anlukan1@yahoo.com

 
At 4:26 PM, Blogger Kim said...

I am thrilled that you tried the product and loved it!! :) I will definitely get the word out to all! :)

Even though it is marketed for kids, I have had several women try it on their hair and they absolutely loved the product as well!!

"Happy Hair!!"

Sunflower Mom

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger Kim said...

As far as using the product on your four year old...I think it will be fine. When my daughter was at Proline for the photo shoot, they were applying the product to I believe a 3 year olds hair. Just make sure that you follow the directions and leave it on for the amount of time specified for her hair type!!

Believe me, it is definitely not like a relaxer. It doesn't change their hair to the extreme. If it did that, I would not use the product on my daughter's hair. Because she models, and her hair is basically her selling point, I would never do anything that would change her hair. It did, however, make it hang longer and smoother without becoming frizzy...if that makes sense. It is WAY EASIER TO COMB OUT!! Her hair would get into major knots and I would pull out so much of her hair and it would break off damaging it really bad. With the JFM product, that is not a problem anymore!!

I think you will be pleased with how it works!! Please let me know if you try it and send pics if you like!! I would like to post some more on the site!! :)

Thank you,

Sunflower Mom

 
At 8:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tried to post before but it didn't work, so I'll try again. I just wanted to thank you all for your contributions. As soon as my hairdresser gets in the product I will try it on my daughter's hair. I am black and her dad is of mixed hispanic, black and caucasian ancestry. Her hair is very long and very thick and to date combing her hair, especially after washing has been difficult for me and painful for her. Lots of crying. Her hair takes hours to dry. People advised against relaxing and her dad didn't want her to feel there was anything wrong with her hair so we have survived the ordeal by putting her hair into small plaits after each wash and leaving it that way for 2 to 3 weeks, but she is now 7 and tired of her plaits, although she appreciates our not having to comb it daily. I think this will make her happy about her hair which she truly hates. Also when she sleeps over with relatives I won't have to worry about her hair. Her aunt said she washed my daughter's hair once and got frightened by the volume. I didn't see the texturizer on the website so I hope it won't be hard to locate. Thanks again

 
At 9:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a bi-racial daughter and I tried the product on my daughter last night and it is amazing. We washed her hair and let it dry without putting any products in it. After combing it again to get all of the tangles out before applying the product, it was very poofy. She actually looked in the mirror and said she looked like Diana Ross. We've gone to shops and they've told us that we can't relax her hair because she has such a "good grade" of hair that it will ruin her hair if we do. It took a long time to apply the product because her hair tangles a few minutes after you comb it. I realize that the next time we use it that it won't take as long. We were amazed after we went through the whole process. There weren't any smelly chemicals. Her hair dried again and what a difference. I was able to comb through her hair in about 10 minutes, where normally it would take about 45 minutes. I didn't have to clean out the comb of globs of hair like I used to do. The comb went through easily and when it dried, she still had curls but not the poofy hair she had before. She was so excited last night and kept looking at herself in the mirror. This morning she woke up, we applied a bit of moisturizer and she combed through it herself. My daughter hasn't been able to comb her own hair in years. When she was young her hair was so curly but in little ringlets. As she approached puberty, her hair started to change and get very dry and poofy. Those ringlets were only at the nape of her neck and the "poof" covered them. So basically she hasn't been able to comb her hair for about two years and honestly it was a 45 minute painful ordeal every day. Using this product will save us both time every day. It looks wonderful. You can even feel the difference. I am so glad a friend of mine saw this product in a magazine and told me about it. This is a lifesaver. I will post again in a week after her next shampoo to let everyone know if it lasted. My daughter's confidence level was through the roof this morning when she was heading off to school. She wore it down for the first time since 2nd or 3rd grade.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home