Sunflower Mom on a Mission

Kim is the official "Spokesmom" for Just For Me(tm) Texture Softener(tm), the brand new breakthrough in hair care for girls of mixed heritage! Her daughter, is featured on the hair care system package, and you may have even seen her on Barney! Kim's blog will contain her thoughts on being a mom in a multi-ethnic family, health and beauty and self-image and self esteem. And for fun, she will interact with other moms who have "hair care chronicles and horror stories."

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

"Mean Kids"

Hello,

I hope all is well out there in the hair world. Everything is well here with the exception of "boys" entering into the picture!! I didn't think it would happen this soon...but she is in the fourth grade. I know that my daughter has a crush on two little boys at her school. Well, I accidentally found a letter that she had written. It said that one of the boys that liked her doesn't anymore because she has a hairy neck and a mustache! Can you believe?? Not only do we have to worry about the hair on her head, now its her neck and face. What do you do or say?? This is a new one for me. Yes, she is kind of hairy on her neck but it shows up more because her hair is dark. I feel so bad for her. She would never say anything to me about it and I dare not say anything to her because I don't want her to think that I am prying into her business. She wrote in her letter that she told him that everybody is hairy and has hair on their face. I know that it hurt her though.

How come kids are so mean to each other? I don't understand. Has anyone experienced this with their child? If so, please share. This is a first for me...the boy issue. I don't even want to think about my baby girl and boys!!! Oh my!!!

On another note...I really appreciate the comments and support that you all have been giving to each other. You all have some really good advice! I think it is great that we have a place that we can come to share and help each other.

I would still love to have pictures to post on the site of before and after pictures. Not only do I want pictures of kids, but of adults as well who have used the Texture Softener!!

PS...HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD!!! :)

Until next time,
"Sunflower Mom"

4 Comments:

At 2:11 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

Kim,
I'm afraid I can't help, as my daughter is a few years behind yours, but thanks for sharing. This may be in our future. My daughter has a good bit of hair on her neck and some on her back, so I expect that someone will say something to her in the future. It's really sad that kids are so mean so early.
We just tried the texture softener on her hair about 2 weeks ago and I was surprised that it actually straightened it quite a bit. I haven't done any recent since then, but you can see her at our blog www.alwaysanadventurewiththethomases.blogspot.com
Thanks for keeping us all informed! I have been waiting for several years for someone to address the hair needs of multi-ethnic and bi-racial kids!
-Lisa

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger Gretchen said...

Hi Kim - I wanted to thank you for taking your time to provide this blog - it is very informative. Can't help with the mean boy item - my oldest DD is only 3.5 so we have a ways to go (hopefully!)

 
At 8:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kim, I have 3 daughters and 2 are "hairy", on their back, back of the neck legs and arms. I think it is pretty and I tell them so, so it doesn't bother them if people say something negative (my older girl said a boy called her hairy at school, she told him he was ignorant, EVERYONE has hair)
As for the boys, I too have a 4th grader, she has had two crushes so far, but they "wore" off, and certain boys in her class like her, most times when boys like girls they may "bother" them, like name calling and even hit them. They chase them during recess etc. But this is a passing fancy, girls and boys this age will like each other for a few weeks and than stop, no kissing, no hugging is involved, even if they say they are girlfriend or boyfriend, its just friends, playing together. But I tell my daughter, the most important thing is getting an education,(even at her age) go to college, and stay focused. I hope this helps!

 
At 4:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi 'MOM! One word; Vaniqa'. It's a natural enzyme lotion that slowly impedes hair growth. You use it twice a day but that's easy because I wash my face morning and night.

It takes 3-4 weeks of using before you notice the hair doesn't grow back. Every once in a while I have to pluck a couple but I used to get my upper lip, chin, and face 'waxed'.

After the last time I waited a couple of days so there'd be no irritation and then I started using the 'Vaniqa'.
It has to be prescribed by your doctor...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home