Sunflower Mom on a Mission

Kim is the official "Spokesmom" for Just For Me(tm) Texture Softener(tm), the brand new breakthrough in hair care for girls of mixed heritage! Her daughter, is featured on the hair care system package, and you may have even seen her on Barney! Kim's blog will contain her thoughts on being a mom in a multi-ethnic family, health and beauty and self-image and self esteem. And for fun, she will interact with other moms who have "hair care chronicles and horror stories."

Saturday, June 28, 2008

"Setting the Record Straight"

Hello,

Just wanted to respond to some of the comments that were received...I was asked to blog about what happens in our house and what some of the daily challenges we are faced with in our home life as well as Brenna's professional life. Because I am involved in an interracial relationship, and my daughter is bi-racial, that is what I discuss. I am in no way trying to tell anyone how to raise their child. I try to do the best I can with my daughter. I am in no way qualified to tell anyone this!! I am not in any way perfect!! Yes, I know that she is part AA and that is why she has the hair she does. But, as far as her hair type, it is different. Different, not being bad, just a different texture. As far as the marketing for this product, I believe it could be used for all ethnicities who have unmanageable hair.

Again, I try to instill good values in my children. They know that it is what is on the inside that counts. Unfortunately, the business that Brenna is in, looks play a very important aspect. It is tough!! I in no way mean to offend anyone. I realize that speaking about ethnicities is a very sensitive subject. I guess because I am so comfortable being with my husband and his family I sometimes forget that I am a "white woman" talking about sensitive issues. I would like to be seen as just a mom of no color just discussing some of the problems that go on in our lives, not because of race, but because of the crazy things that go on in our world!! We all have our opinions and I appreciate yours. Maybe I can learn from you as well.

I also would like to point out that I really appreciate the person who told me about the hair removal product!! I am definitely going to talk to our doctor about it!! ;)
We actually saw the threading being done this weekend at the mall. Brenna wouldn't go anywhere near it!! :) I am sure it works really well but it looked kind of painful. Is it???

Until Next Time,
"Sunflower Mom"

5 Comments:

At 3:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
I just wanted to say I really like the blog and your links to sites etc. I think it's good.
And there is a black girl on the box, on two sides, for those of you who haven't seen it.
There are many sites/ forums, where women with bi-racial or black children from all over the world actually put up there results for the Just For Me Texture Softener...I like the results and I'm going to do it this summer hopefully.
Good Luck everyone who plans on using it :)
p.s. Kim could you put some more pictures of Brenna, like after you used the texture softener

 
At 6:34 PM, Blogger Just Sarah said...

Just want to say congrats to Breanna! I saw her in both the paper and tv ads for Penney's when we were visiting my mom in Florida.

 
At 5:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kim - my 7 yr old daughter is biracial as well (Puerto Rican and AA) and has different 'zones' to her hair. There are loose curls, medium curls, and completely coarse hair in areas of her head - DEFINITELY a challenge. I've wanted to do SOMETHING to her hair but it seems that all of the other products are perms to straighten the hair and I just want her to be able to enjoy her beautiful curls. My 13 yr old daughter has mostly AA hair and it's been fairly simple to address it (she likes hers permed) but my little one is very different. I've been thinking about purchasing the texture softener for a couple of months and finally picked some up once I saw she had an area of coarse hair that had matted up under her ponytail. I was still concerned to use this on her which is why I logged onto the site to watch the video. It looks and sounds really easy so I'm going to go for it! I just wanted to thank you for posting about biracial children's hair. The other blogger mentioned other 'sites' but I haven't seen any. Do you know of some??? Also, I think there should be more products out there addressing their kind of hair which is 'a little of this, and a little of that'. :-)

 
At 2:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used this the softener kit and my girl hair was terrible. She had kinky natural hair and I watched the video and followed the instructions CAREFULLY. Her roots did not take and her ends came out too straight. My advice to anyone mother whose girls have kinky natural hair, do not use this product. If, you do, make sure you do not comb it thru the ends. The roots will be tight and the ends too loose. I REGRET EVER putting this stuff in my daughter's hair. I am trying my best too take care of it, but I do see breakage and the roots are hard. I even called the company and their advice was too wait at least 6 weeks and reapply only the roots. Did that, roots took slightly. It is in my opinion, but this product IS NOT FOR BLACK GIRLS WITH KINKY NATURAL HAIR. Do not be fooled with the little black girl on the back. This product must be only for biracial girls. I took my daughter to at least 2 salons to get a professional opinion. I was told to gradually trim her ends and to NEVER APPLY JUST FOR ME TO HER HAIR. Now my only recourse is to trim it slowly and let her natural hair return or get a relaxer added to her hair. Mother with girls with kinky natural hair, have patience and for special occassions, just take your girls to get their hair done professional. I'm sorry I didn't do that.

 
At 2:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Just For Me brand has been trusted by mom's for almost 20 years. For mother's that want to make their daughters' hair straight or just a little softer, it's been a very reliable product. However there could have been issues that caused the product not to perform as expected. One of the main reasons is that the hair could have been very tangled or thick, causing the cream to stay in one place too long. Also, the little girl on the front of the box had very thick, coarse hair. I did her Texture Softener two years ago and I continue to care for her hair. So the Just For Me Texture Softener is definitely designed for ALL hair textures. The only difference is that the texture determines how long you should leave it on.

Now, to address your child's hair. I know that you took her to a professional, but if you could send over a snapshot of her hair, I'd be able to have a little more insight and provide possible solutions. You can mail it to The Mahogany Door, P.O. Box 82103, Richardson, Texas 75085. In the meantime, I'd like for you to try the Just For Me Smoothing Creme and scrunch the hair to add some of the texture.

I can't make a comment on applying to the scalp area in two weeks until I see the hair. I am sorry for your experience and hope that you send the photo as soon as possible so that I can make a better recommendation.

Thank you,
Tricologist

 

Post a Comment

<< Home